More On Your Worst E-Mistakes

In case you didn’t get your fill from our previous post, the e-mail guide Send — by The Times‘s OpEd editor, David Shipley, and former Hyperion Books editor-in-chief, Will Schwalbe — has a lot to say about e-mail mistakes.

If you just made your own e-flub, visit their Web site, Thinkbeforeyousend.com — a collection of the worst e-mail mistakes. You’ll likely find one more embarrassing than yours.

1. David says:

And this is why you create an Outlook rule to delay the sending of all e-mails. (walkthrough on how to do that: http://www.cnet.com/8301-13880_1-9929823-68.html)

Delay it by 15 minutes if necessary and you can cool-off, or fix that mistake you spotted just as you hit “send”.

2. LL says:

Guys, going back to the trough like this is diluting the Freakonomics brand.

3. Jon Peltier says:

Another email faux pas: forgetting to attach your attachment. I followed this technique, and have not forgotten an attachment in months:

“Did You Forget Something, Again?” by David Horowitz

4. logicark says:

what a timing…yesterday I made the first reply to all mistake of my career (which is yet to reach its 2nd anniversary); thankfully the stuff that i sent was safe and the worst I will be hit will be some remarks from colleagues.

5. Jaspher says:

If we think we can revolutionize in a day, we are wrong. In my opinion, if we are to change someting so big we need to rent some flix on the 60′s. No gas for a day seams a bit unrealistic, this hold up would have to persist for at least a week to be taken seriuosly. We can’t sit on our rumps after work at the front lines of our telly and expect to change the world in a day>

6. Robyn Ann says:

How about a second?

7. RZ says:

This is in today’s L.A. Times. Apparently the Finance Chairman of Countrywide isn’t immune from email gaffes either.

8. Michele says:

Mine was 10 years ago, before we were as “e” as we are today….a colleague sent me an email that was really whiny and complaining, mostly about me (justified, I was way behind in my projects) but also about the company in general, she was definitely having a bad day. I printed it off, because I wanted to follow up on something, right after I printed off a document I was sending to the 500 top managers in our company. It was sent as the last page of that document. I’m not sure which of us was more embarassed.