Palin "Going Rogue"

When I read the CNN.com headline that Sarah Palin was “going rogue,” I thought the quote was meant in admiration.

It turns out the story is wholly negative, and “going rogue” is a bad thing.

That is not what my sister Linda told me when she gave me the moniker the “rogue economist.” She told me being a rogue is a good thing, and I believed her; just like when I was five and she convinced me that, since a penny is bigger in size than a dime, it is worth more. I happily traded all my dimes for all her pennies, cutting my net worth at the time roughly in half.

Even if being a rogue economist isn’t much, I suppose it is still better than being a rouge economist.

INSERT DESCRIPTIONPhoto: ookikioo

1. Rob says:

Is “going rogue” anything like “being a maverick”?

2. a rogue Obama voter says:

Rogue is not so good when you’re part of a team and your job is to help your boss land a big job. I realize she has screwed McCain when my mother, who does not particularly care for Obama, says she can’t now vote for McCain solely because of Palin.

3. Jon Peltier says:

I first saw the “going rogue” phrase on a discussion group, and it was misspelled “going rouge”. This led to lots of clever quips, like my favorite, “Does the lipstick go on before or after the rouge?”

4. Jessica Margolin says:

I did the same trick when my younger brother was in kindergarten, but failed at ruthlessness: four pennies for every nickel.

As for “rogue,” see John Haidt’s video on the moral mind: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind.html

I would speculate that it’s an in-group loyalty thing. Conservatives care and disdain her. Liberals think it’s more important to behave independently and admire you. Moderates, like Malcom, are in the middle.

I blogged a mashup of Financial Crisis and Moral Mind thoughts at my blog, http://www.margolin-consulting.com/2008/10/financial-crisi.html

5. AaronS says:

A “rouge economist”? Talk about a “hidden side.” Is there something you aren’t telling us, Steven? Ha!

Love ya, bro!

6. Ben says:

My mom’s a very conservative Catholic and even she thinks Palin would make an awful VP/President

7. DJH says:

“Rogue” is a word which, curiously, can go both ways. It can have a negative connotation (e.g. “a rogue agent” in a gov’t agency), or a positive one (e.g. “he’s a loveable rogue”). It really depends on the context.

The chance, however much it may be, of “rogue” being interpreted negatively made me wonder why a car company came out with a model called “Rogue.” Even if (say) 90% of people take the name in a positive way, why would auto marketers use a term that might immediately turn off 10% of potential buyers?

8. cirby says:

“Going rogue,” in this case, seems to be “she didn’t repeat everything I told her verbatim, so I’m miffed. Give me another margarita.”