If Economists Rapped

Economics is sometimes referred to as the science of stating the obvious in a blatantly overcomplicated way.

Where better to apply this definition than in the realm of freestyle rapping? Take a look at this translated video. If it’s not the funniest thing you’ve seen today, then — well, you’ve had a very funny day. Congratulations.

To quote one combatant in the video:

I am in fact orating with little or no prior preparation, an act commonly referred to as freestyling. Once again, and I think this bears repeating, I would like to restate my claim that I am in fact much stronger and have endured a larger number of hardships than you; hardships which have left me with an aggressive behavior and an imposing demeanor which, I believe, frightens you.

(HT: David Friedman)

TAGS:

1. King Politics says:

Hilarious. They need to apply this to the political pundits on the Sunday talk shows.

2. Shadrach says:

Much better than the original version of the clip.

3. BSK says:

Yea! Let’s mock the dark people some more!

4. Thomas Brownback says:

For the curious:

The original battle was Math vs. Dose.

Math has an interview on youtube explaining why it got violent, it had little or nothing to do with the content of the raps (obviously if you can’t take an insult you shouldn’t be freestyling).

5. John King says:

The ‘translation’ has nothing to do with the actual words spoken during the ‘battle’. The translation mocks freestyle rap as being obsessed with alleged homosexuality (above all), criminal behaviour and parenthood – this may be true for some freestyle battles but was not true in this case.

Assuming that the ‘translation’ was made by white students (taking into account the accents and vocabulary used) then the phrase “racist mockery” springs to mind.

6. John says:

I only found the video mildly amusing, until the ensuing free-for-all accompanied by Swing music. Thank you for brightening my day.

#1 Perhaps this website could begin offering Stump Speech translations:

“I’m saying the same things that I have been saying for the last two months, while slightly altering the order of delivery of my time-tested and focus group approved cliches, so as to not sound repetitive.”

7. ukdan says:

I like the economist’s translation of the Rolling Stones ‘you can’t always get what you want’ or as an economist might put it…

‘Individuals maximise utility subject to constraints’.

8. David Chowes says:

Protean BEN STEIN (of the Nixon administration, economist, actor, writer, commentator…) wraps kinda well using a great deal of free association.