Seven Smooches

Imagine for a moment that you are a stay-at-home mom with a workaholic husband, five kids between the ages of two and nine, a new dog, and almost no babysitting help.

What would you do?

How about start up a new business? That’s what Jennifer List, wife of my colleague and co-author John List, did. The result is Seven Smooches. They make handcrafted, one-of-a-kind clothes and accessories for children. Although they are just getting started, they have already been featured in Country Living and Real Simple magazine. Rumor has it that Halle Berry and Courteney Cox Arquette‘s daughters wear Seven Smooches.

Word to the wise: if you want it delivered by Christmas, you better order it right away. After all, Jennifer (and her business partner) hand-make everything, she has five children, and her husband is a workaholic.

1. Mars says:

If he is a workaholic how did they ever manage to end up with 5 kids?

(Also, I love how *us* economists don’t seem to think calling someone a workaholic is derogatory. In the rest of the world – outside econ-world – it’s not usually a complement that a friend would post to a blog.)

2. Whitney says:

Why would you want to let the world know that your friend is a workaholic and that his wife doesn’t have the childcare support that she needs? Who needs enemies?

3. AHG says:

Isn’t child labor illegal in this country? ;-)

4. HW says:

Mars, I *wish* I deserved the title.

5. Mike says:

I’d stop having kids if my husband didn’t want to be a father. But that’s just me.

6. David says:

“What would you do?”

Find a husband who was committed to his family?

7. Alex says:

That’s a lot of judgement in the comments so far. I think a good general rule is to assume that if you’ve read one paragraph about a family, your knowledge of them amounts to not much at all, and judging their parenting is pretentious at best. Not to mention the fact that their situation was clearly simplified for space and effect.

On to the meat of the post, I think that’s a great idea! I have no idea what it is that differentiates these from regular kids’ clothes, but this is a further testament to the idea that anyone can start a business if they’re willing to gather the knowledge, think creatively and put in the work.

Congratulations to your friend.

8. kellycms says:

I think the idea of starting a new business is very smart. If she has the time and place, but is limited by her mobility, then it works. She has the inspiration from her own kids. What makes it special is that it’s all one of a kind so there is special and individual thought to each garnment.
    Its also special because it is not a money driven business; its just a woman seeking to pass time. She can refuse to make clothes whenever it becomes to hectic or when she needs a break. If possible I think more stay at home parents should follow this idea. It’s not very demanding and a great way to get involved with your own kids.