Our Daily Bleg: Did Your Kids’ School Broadcast Obama’s Speech?

My kids’ schools never stopped class to listen to President Bush‘s inauguration speech; but my sense in Connecticut is that many public and private schools stopped normally scheduled classes to listen to Obama‘s inauguration speech. News articles suggested that many schools considered his inauguration address a teachable moment.

The empiricist in me wonders whether this phenomenon is more pronounced in blue states than red states. Was yesterday just business as usual in Republican strongholds? Or did public school children listen en masse across these United States?

1. Phil says:

Instead of having students watch the inauguration in class, Baltimore City Schools decided to close.

Something tells me that the “teachable moment” would have been more effective if students had actually been in school.

I can understand why Washington D.C. schools would close, but not Baltimore unless your blue state theory is the real reason.

2. Ben says:

I live in a county that votes Republican, and my child watched it at school. My mother teaches in an adjacent (Republican voting) county and her students did not watch it because they don’t have the equipment to do so.

The racial angle is likely lost on children – they’re too young to remember a lot of the racial issues and civil rights movement.

3. JP says:

In normally bright red Indiana (but finally blue this year), our grade school and middle school did have all the kids watch the proceedings. They started about 11:30 until the end of Obama’s speech.

I think the school saw this inauguration differently than previous ones, because Obama is African-American. The historic nature of the event made it different.

I know I heard Rush on the radio try and paint the schools as promoting a pro-liberal agenda, but I think that explanation is too simplistic. Maybe even a little sour grapes.

I remember being in school and watching the the first Space Shuttle launch.

The schools should acknowledge these historic moments. It was the right thing to do to have the kids watch it.

4. Scott says:

My son is in 2nd grade in a public school in Los Angeles, and the whole school watched it.

5. Kenneth says:

I don’t have any kids, but it is my understanding that schools in Oklahoma City did broadcast the inauguration.

Oklahoma is about as red as it gets, but OKC might be the closest thing to a bastion of liberal thought that this state has.

6. tony sheng says:

my kids watched it in school – columbia md, suburb between dc and baltimore. i’m glad they watched it in school.

7. EP says:

My mother’s middle school in Blue MN was asked to show the coverage.

8. Dave says:

My son’s whole elementary school watched it from the swearing in of Biden and Obama through Obama’s speech. We’re in St. Louis county though our city tries to be very progressive, and has about a 50/50 racial breakdown.