Left-Handed Presidents

INSERT DESCRIPTIONPhoto: hortulus

In middle school I was taught that in order to be president of the United States, you had to be native-born and at least 35 years of age. My teachers left out the requirement that you be left handed. While not formally a requirement, lately being a lefty has been pretty helpful for becoming president: five of the last seven presidents have been left handed.

Ten to 15 percent of men are left handed, which means, according to my calculations, that this many recent left-handed presidents would only happen by chance one time in 1,000. Adding to the mystery, a number of the losing candidates in recent elections (including John McCain and Ross Perot) have also been southpaws.

My son Nicholas is left handed. For that reason alone, I’ve tried to get him interested in baseball, to no avail. I’ve also heard that lefties are often good at math and art. Those two talents seem to have passed him by as well.

I had resigned myself to the fact that left-handedness would be nothing but a burden for him. I’m cheered by the news regarding presidents

I did a quick search and couldn’t find any systematic evidence that lefties were more likely to be found in leadership positions more generally. Sure, some historic figures like Napoleon are supposed to have been left handed, but there have been a lot of historic figures. Does anyone know whether lefties are overrepresented among C.E.O.’s or world leaders outside the United States?

Meanwhile, I’ve got to run and help my son hone his stump speech.

1. nancy says:

imagine, too, that bill clinton and bob dole had some degree of colorblindness.

Maybe it has more to do with people in leadership positions overcoming what most other people seem to think as trivial handicaps and these leaders rising above the norm.

2. Bobby G says:

Uhh lefties are powerful weapons in water polo as well! Get him swimming and playing polo so that he can shoot well from the right side of a water polo offense.

Man, now I want to be playing water polo instead of being stuck behind this desk.

3. tracy says:

re: #1

reminds me of the thesis of malcolm gladwell’s outliers.

4. Mike says:

Nancy – as a left hander, it really is just a trivial handicap, and nothing really to have to overcome. Sure, our arms get tired in school when we have to write on those right-handed desks (I was amazed when I actually found a left-handed desk how nice it was – I didn’t know what I was missing), and we smear our ink as we write (but who writes anymore, and typing is mostly symmetric). But it’s not that big of a deal being left handed, and if mean I can become president (yeah, yeah, that whole correlation vs causality thing), then I’m happy.

5. Erin N. says:

Lefties are also known to be wonderfully sympathetic and excellent communicators. The world is not such a tough place for lefties, I hope your son doesn’t really disappoint you with his left handed-ness.

6. RZ says:

Steven, try to get your son to play tennis. There have been some excellent left-handed players (Rafael Nadal, John McEnroe) and “lefty spin” always frustrates opponents.

7. Jim says:

If your son had an interest in the sport of fencing, he’d have an advantage as well.

Right handed fencers face right handed fencers 90% of the time. In the 10% of the times they face lefties, they have to adjust due to facing a mirror image of their more common opponents.

The lefty faces a righty 90% of the time. When two lefties face off, they’re both at the same mirror image disadvantage.

8. Eric says:

You could also try other sports; lefties have advantages in lots of sports other than baseball. Fencing, for example, or boxing.