And Sarah

My family is somewhat obsessed with all things Sarah Dooley. We were first won over by her oddly moving songs. Check out this love song, “Watching Goonies at My House.”

But she is also writing and staring in her own comedies. As an undergraduate at Barnard College, she has started posting to YouTube a series of short And Sarah films that to my mind are nothing short of hilarious. Her character reminds me a bit of Michael Scott from The Office. She makes me squirm in part because she reminds me of myself.

She just posted a new episode that brings up another of my obsessions — Freakonomics. Check out what she’s reading about 15 seconds into this clip:

(If you like it, you can go back and start with episode one).

I predict she is going to make it big. I’m not sure how, but remember you heard it here first.

TAGS: ,

1. Paul says:

Well, she clearly wants to be like Michael Scott…but his character shows just how much talent it takes to pull off such humor. Sarah lacks this talent, and ends up just being annoying.

2. Charlottesville says:

Anyone remember the viral video from a year or so ago of the high school kids busking, playing Video Killed The Radio Star. They were on some sort of pedestrian mall and their instrumentation included an upright bass and maybe a banjo?

3. tudza says:

Nope, which is probably a good comment on such things and how they go over in the real world.

4. JoseAngelCMS says:

People are always looking for ways to make some money. Most of all during crisis times. She is probably doing this shows to get people to watch her, so that after a certain amount of views, some people might turn out to hire her, causing her to win some money. She is seeking fame on youtube, and if she is able to obtain the fame she has been looking for in youtube, then she would be able to get some money out of the whole process.

5. Melissa says:

She’s a student at Barnard, not Columbia.
    I promise you there’s a difference.

6. Fellow Columbian says:

OK, I know it’s a time-honored internet tradition to bash people, but the last comment (#4) was a little uncalled for. She’s been doing those videos since last year, and she’s also starred in Columbia’s annual musical in her freshmen year. Needless to say, she’s got game.

7. fellowstudent... says:

In response to the previous comment regarding Sarah Dooley’s more selfish motivations: clearly the writer does not understand Youtube. Is little David all doped up on post-dentist laughing gas in his parents’ minivan rolling in dough? Are the baby pandas making money? Sarah may hope to be discovered through Youtube, but immediate cash is never guaranteed and moreover, her talent and efforts are genuine. A busy Columbia student would not take this much time and brain work to film an original scripted series if she didn’t have the drive and purer desire for a creative outlet to back it. There are easier ways to get famous. Sarah Dooley is just doing what aspiring creative types have done for years before: putting in the creative energy with the hope but not the assurance of being discovered. Here on campus, she’s already earned the respect of her fellow students for her wit, comedic timing and uncanny ability to capture the real monotony and joys that make up college life. That might not be all she deserves- but if you ask her, I’m sure she would tell you it’s enough.
    Watch Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa9rFOJ4TXY

8. Jeremy says:

When does it get funny. I am up to 3 minutes already.