Be Cool, Ditch the Tie

In Bangladesh, a country whose power shortages are particularly severe during its hot summers, it doesn’t make much economic sense to dress up in a stuffy suit and then crank up your office’s AC to stay cool. That’s why, to cut down on air-conditioning use, the prime minister ordered a new dress code for the country’s public servants: no more ties and suits — just simple, short-sleeved shirts. Casual Fridays every day shouldn’t be too difficult to enforce. [%comments]

1. kdg says:

I love a simple solution.

2. Q says:

Modern business attire seems to have its roots in northern Europe, where it made sense, but suits and ties are ill suited to much of the world, and even much of the U.S. in summer if not for the over-air-conditioned buildings most of us work in. I’ve often wondered what it will take for us to collectively recognize this and adopt new notions of “formal” or “business” wear.

3. Ridwanalah says:

It is high time someone thinks outside the bun.

4. Mike says:

Suits and ties are antiquated and pointless. Jeans and a polo is the new business casual.

5. Holme says:

Ties don’t really have practical value. They don’t make you more productive and they don’t keep you warm, they are just hanging there doing nothing.
    What they do, however, is showing costumers that you respect them enough to dress up and look fancy. If you arrive in t-shirt and jeans, some people might feel that you don’t really care about them or the time and money your interaction will cost them.

6. Avi Rappoport says:

As a person who prefers comfort to style, I commend this change.

But I dress up for important meetings and especially for giving conference talks. It’s a gesture of respect for the situation, a symbol that I know people are paying real money to hear me and I take that very seriously. I know many wonderful thinkers and speakers who dress casually, it’s more an internal thing for me than a commentary on anyone else.

7. Matt B says:

Having been one of the guys that has to wear a suit and tie (in Texas during the summer, no less) I have always felt that it was antiquated, impractical, and clearly either something dreamt up by a woman or someone from a much, much cooler environment.

If employees were allowed to dress more appropriately to the weather, A/C costs would be cut. Seems like a free, “green” solution. I’m guessing more casual dress won’t truly reach widespread appeal in areas such as accounting, finance, etc. until a younger generation takes over.

8. Eric M. Jones says:

Am I the only one who wonders how this affects women, do they still wear burkas or what? I can’t imagine the code applied to men and women equally.