Our Daily Bleg: Naked Dreams in Other Cultures?

From a reader named Josh Slavin comes an interesting request for help:

My friend was just telling me about a recent dream in which she was naked at a party and it reminded me of my similar dreams of being naked at school.? It’s such a common trope in American culture that it made me wonder if people in other cultures have it too.? Do more open/less prudish cultures like maybe Brazil have it as a common dream?? What about much more conservative cultures, like in the Middle East — do they have a much more reserved version of it?

I love this question, and I’m hoping some of you can chime in with wisdom. FWIW, here’s a relevant excerpt from Gustavus Hindman Miller‘s Dictionary of Dreams (which does not enjoy good reviews — “pure archaic drivel” — from contemporary readers):

To dream that you are naked, foretells scandal and unwise engagements.

To see others naked, foretells that you will be tempted by designing persons to leave the path of duty. Sickness will be no small factor against your success.

To dream that you suddenly discover your nudity, and are trying to conceal it, denotes that you have sought illicit pleasure contrary to your noblest instincts and are desirous of abandoning those desires.

On the Middle East portion of Josh’s question, I’d suggest everyone read Maureen Dowd‘s recent Vanity Fair article “A Girls’ Guide to Saudi Arabia.” It doesn’t concern dreams, but some of the waking moments might make you think you’re dreaming …

1. Grounds for unease. says:

I dreamt I was naked at a Tea Party rally with nothing but my teabag to hide behind.

2. Liza Harrington says:

I am from Brazil and yes, did have the recurring naked dream growing up…Particurlaly being in school naked. I am 37 and still have it every now and then.

3. Drill-Baby-Drill Drill Team says:

We come into this world naked and alone. And we leave the same way.

We are all naked under our clothes.

Clothes penetrating Infra Red will be used by Homeland Security. They are marketing lead flying pasties for the ultramodest.

Some people are so fixated with their nakedness, they take a shower partially dressed.

My dog is a free naturalist…he will rip off any clothes he is dressed in about a minute and run around naked in circles.

4. matt. says:

i know next to nothing about dreams and the psychology behind them.

that aside, i’d answer ‘no’ to the question. for the same reasons that other cultures don’t see god as a ‘white male’, etc.

maybe i’m way off, though.

great question, by the way.

5. Yosef says:

I used to have several of these naked dreams in nights. I discovered myself in nudity in publicity without alarm from other people. Some are in formal occasions and some are not, but they all embarrassing a lot.

Chinese reply.

6. Eric M. Jones says:

My cat told me that she had these naked dreams too…oh, wait that was just a dream I had.

7. Drill-Baby-Drill Drill Team says:

At the last Christmas Bombing Attempt by the Underwear bomber from Al Queda, security experts were speculating where the next threat could arise…..Possibly a a bomb placed in an unmentionable body cavity.

In that case, part of security clearance would involve having ALL PASSENGERS fly Nude. IT would also discourage Ferverent Fundamentalist Religion Practioners from flying, result in a self restricted “Do Not Fly” List, and safen the skies.

Plus it could be lead to a vast expansion of the membership of the Mile High Club. And it would weaken the distracted and divided attention from our personal electonic gadgets. ( We will distracted by other things.)

8. Steve says:

I hear that Lady GaGa has a recurring dream in which she suddenly finds herself in a roomful of people, all looking at her, and she’s wearing clothes.