Quotes Uncovered: Bring Your Notable Quotes

At last, I am up to date in responding to reader questions about quotations. Let’s turn now to the kind of posting that in the past has generated hundreds of comments.

I’m starting to think about my annual list, run by the Associated Press, of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year (I know it’s only August, but it’s good to start gathering quotes before the early-in-the-year ones become forgotten). By “notable” I mean “important” or “famous” or “particularly revealing of the spirit of our times” rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable. An obvious candidate for this year is Tony Hayward‘s “I’d like my life back.”

I would welcome suggestions of additional quotes from 2010, particularly ones from politics or popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.

1. Bill Reichmann says:

Columbia, MO chief of police: “I hate the internet.” This after an internet video showed abuses by the local police SWAT unit.

I think it’s emblematic of the internet’s power to hold public figures accountable and their frustration with actually having to be held accountable.

2. Marisa says:

“I was also going to give a graduation speech in Arizona this weekend, but with my accent, I was afraid they would try to deport me.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger, governor of California, ribbing Arizona’s new immigration law, in his commencement speech at Emory University in Atlanta.

3. Eric M. Jones says:

“….refudiate….” Sarah Palin

4. James Hoadley says:

“Refudiate. English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it.” — Sarah Palin

“We now have proof that Toyota failed to live up to its legal obligations.” –Ray Lahood

“We want our money back. My commitment is to recover every single dime the American people are owed. My determination to achieve this goal is only heightened when I see reports of massive profits and obscene bonuses at some of the very firms who owe their continued existence to the American people.” — Barack Obama

“Proposition 8 cannot withstand any level of scrutiny under the Equal Protection Clause. Excluding same-sex couples from marriage is simply not rationally related to a legitimate state interest.” — Vaughn Walker

5. James Hoadley says:

“I’ve been in the business 28 years. I’ve had it. That’s it. ” – Steven Slater

“Sixty years ago I survived a Chinese attack in North Korea and as a result I wrote a book saying that I hadn’t had a bad day since. Today I have to reassess that statement.” — Charlie Rangel

“It just had to go in.” — Andres Iniesta

I hear comments sometimes that large oil companies are greedy companies or don’t care, but that is not the case with BP. We care about the small people.” — Carl-Henric Svanberg

“The day that we’ve been fearing is upon us.” — Bobby Jindal

6. David Chowes, New York City says:

When I was in college, I worked part time in the tobacco department of a discount department store — where they mainly sold cartons of cigarettes as a ‘loss leader.’ The price then was $2.36 per carton — not each pack!

The manger of this unit was a fifty-five year old man who had seen everything… Quite cynical… He never was graduated from high school.

I was hired at minimum wage (in 1961: $1.25 per hour); after a six month period, my work record was reviewed by
    the personnel department… And, my salary was increased 10 cents each hour.

I said, “10 cents.”

So, I complained many times to my grizzlled manager as to how outrageous and insulting this was. Eventually he responded…

“David, if you think too much you’ll get a headach!”

Wise words.

7. Eddie says:

Sports 2010:

“I’m taking my talents to South Beach” — Lebron James

“Spain’s name will be on top of the world for the next four years.” — Iker Casillas, Spanish soccer player

“But still, I know I have bitterly disappointed all of you. I have made you question who I am and how I could have done the things I did. I am embarrassed that I have put you in this position.

For all that I have done, I am so sorry.” – Tiger Woods

8. Mantonat says:

Deion Sanders: “…this was the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard in my entire life, except for that Herschel Walker shibacle.”