Probably Not the Way to Run a Restaurant

DESCRIPTIONPhoto: jetalone

I happened to be driving by an A&W restaurant the other day. I also happened to be thirsty. So I stopped in to order a frosty mug of root beer.

“We’re out of root beer,” the worker told me.

How can A&W run out of root beer? It doesn’t seem like the inventory costs associated with keeping a small buffer stock of your marquee product are very large. You might think that the first rule at A&W would be to always have root beer.

In defense of the restaurant, it was 11 am and the store had just opened. Perhaps the new shipment of root beer had gotten unexpectedly delayed and was arriving any minute.

Two days later, I once again found myself thirsty as I was driving by this same A&W. So I stopped in to order a frosty mug of root beer.

“I’m sorry,” the worker said, “We’re out of root beer.”

I think it is no coincidence that A&W and KFC are owned by the same company.

1. Jake says:

Ha. This happened to me in Wisconsin. They ran out of root beer! I hadn’t been to A&W for over 10 years, I probably won’t go back ever.

2. Glenn says:

I went to a Dunkin Donuts on a Sunday morning and ordered four large coffees. The clerk acted as if i was making some outrageous request and hoped she had enough coffee. Luckily, her stupidity carried over to her ringing up abilities and she charged me something like two dollars. I was going to speak up but figured that I deserved a break for her ridiculous indignation for ordering coffee on a Sunday morning.

3. Roderick says:

That’s like the bank being out of money!!!

4. Craig Rodgers says:

If you are ever in Burlington, NJ and want a real root beer please stop at Stewart’s on Rt. 130. They don’t run out, and it’s fresh made every day.

5. Gaspar says:

it simply shows how they care about us – the customers!

Sadly but true :(

6. A&W says:

I know this post is years old, but I’d like to explain why your local store was out of root beer. Their root beer is made fresh in each store. They were probably working on a batch when you stopped in. It isn’t made from a concentrate + carbonated water mix. This is also the reason their A&W root beer tastes different than the stuff you can buy on the store shelf. It is a different product.