Homer Simpson: A True Catholic?

This just in from the Vatican’s daily broadsheet: “Few people know it, and he does everything he can to hide it, but it is true: Homer J. Simpson is a Catholic.” “The Simpsons are among the few TV programmes for children in which Christian faith, religion, and questions about God are recurrent themes,” writes L’Osservatore Romano. The Simpson family even “recites prayers before meals and, in their own peculiar way, believes in the life thereafter.” [%comments]

1. Aaron says:

Since when is the Simpsons “for children”? Don’t get me wrong, I love the show, but there’s a reason it’s on during primetime. It’s not a children’s show.

That said, it *is* one of the few sitcoms on TV that commonly makes Christian faith an element or theme of the show.

2. Quill says:

So true Catholics are lazy alcoholics that have no self-control and are innately cowardly? I guess in depends on which season you’re looking at, but aligning your religion with Homer Simpson isn’t much of a compliment.

3. Wil says:

Soooo Presbylutheranism = Catholicism?

4. AaronS says:

The evidence presented could be used by virtually any Christian denomination in the world to justify calling the Simpsons members of their organization.

Believe me, Baptists, Pentecostals, Presbyterians, and Episcopalians–no wait, Episcopalians do not talk about God EVER!–all talk about God, the after life, religion, etc.

Just think, all these years I have been raised to think I was Pentecostal…only to find out I’m Catholic! My Mom and Dad will not be pleased.

5. David Purdy says:

Have a look at the cross in the church Homer attends. If Jesus’ body is on it, they’re Catholic. If not, they’re Protestant.

6. mike c. says:

Apparently, this is a recurring theme for the Vatican: http://www.vatican.va/news_services/or/or_quo/cultura/296q05a1.html

7. SEG says:

The minister at their church is married and I’m guessing therefore not a Catholic Priest or a really bad one.

8. Sol says:

Hmmmm…. Homer Catholic?

Did you miss the eposide where he stands on the corner in a Monk’s robe and announces:

“..listen up everybody! I’m here to tell you God loves you all – and he’ll be here next Wednesday to destroy everybody..”

Gotta be Pentecostal.