Taking a Course From Gary Becker

Up until now, the only way to take a course taught by Gary Becker was to be a student at the University of Chicago.

Thanks to the heroic efforts of three students –Dana Chandler, Salvador Navarro Lozano, and Jorge Garcia – that has changed.

Dana, Salvador, and Jorge teamed up to videotape and summarize a full quarter of Gary’s legendary graduate economics class, Econ 343, Human Capital. These lectures are now available to anyone on YouTube.

As Dana Chandler so aptly put it to me, “Just as Richard Feynman‘s Lectures on Physics served to inspire countless physicists, I am sure that these will inspire countless future economists.”

The only shortcoming of the videotaped version of the class is you can’t ask questions (although I suspect if you emailed Becker questions, he would answer them).

One big benefit of watching the class on videotape: Becker can’t cold-call you, a habit for which he is notorious.

1. kevin says:

Cool. I enjoy the Becker-Posner blog. I watched the game theory videos that were linked on the Freakonomics blog before too, and like that the world is moving toward offering this type of instruction for free.

I will say this… after watching 5 minutes, I hope the camera doesn’t move that much the whole semester.

2. Andrew Bressler says:

How about putting an audio version on iPodU so we can listen while we exercise?

Thanks

3. Will says:

It’s like MIT OCW, without the expense of hosting the content. Brilliant!

4. Eric M. Jones says:

Even coming close to equating Feynman and Becker seems way-over-reaching. A good case could be made for Feynman having no equal. At least Becker is a nobody in comparison.

Sorry.

5. Eric W says:

Fantastic! I was lucky enough to take Becker’s class at the Business school and he is a treasure. Now, who can get Kevin Murphy to do the same thing?

6. Marcos says:

Do you have a list of required readings? Syllabus? :) I think you know where I’m going with this.

7. Salvador says:

Hi Steve,

I am not quite sure why I (Salvador Navarro) am being credited here. I had nothing to do with videotaping Gary’s class. I didn’t even know it had been videtaped. I did create a set of typed notes for my consumption back in the day that I understand have been going around but that is the extent of my involvement.

Salvador

8. Steve says:

There are a number of classes and lectures on iTunesU which can be useful. I needed to revise constrained optimisation for an economics model I am doing so I watched a lecture from a graduate Engineering math class I think from MIT. It was perfect