I Love These Hand-Dryers

Maybe Dyson should be making smartphones too, eh? They are so much fun to use that I wonder if people will be more likely to wash their hands in airport restrooms

TAGS:

1. Sideshow Bill says:

Before there was Dyson, Mitsubishi did it.

2. Nick says:

Although I agree that they’re the best hand dryers out there, paper towels still work better.

3. Derek Pan NL says:

I’m a bit surprised that this can be a topic coz I took for granted that they can be seen everewhere….Wat’s worse i’m afraid it’s not as sanitary as you think.
    As far as I know, using paper towels may be a more sensible choice.

4. Ellie says:

These dryers are almost impossible for wheelchair users, the very short, and people with other physical disabilities to use. It’s utterly amazing to me how often people construct buildings strictly to the letter of the ADA code and then screw up the space’s accessibility by ignoring details. One brand new movie theatre I visited recently had a soap dispenser on a wall at least four feet away from the nearest sink. How is someone using a wheelchair supposed to wash his or her hands? Wet hands, wheel over to the soap, dispense soap on hands, use soapy hands to wheel back to sink…For able walkers this dispenser placement wasn’t an issue, but for the not-so-able it was a major, but easily fixable stumbling block. And don’t get me started on bulky toilet paper dispensers positioned right on top of grab bars, rendering the bars useless…

Seriously people, it just isn’t that hard to ask someone in a wheelchair and/or with other needs to do a simple walk-through. If you’ve spent money conforming to the letter of the law, why not spare a little attention for its spirit? I guarantee there is a world of disabled customers who are intensely loyal to the places they can navigate easily. (Not to mention the legions of folks who are discouraged from venturing out at all because they’re sick of asking for help everywhere they go. Despite what customer service programs teach employees about being solicitous to the mobility impaired, most individuals would much, much rather you make assistance unnecessary, not waste time ensuring its delivered with a patronizing smile.)

• Jangla says:

Perhaps a horizontal implementation rather than vertical would be sensible? Then all that’s hampering accessibility is installation height but that’s far easier to address.

• Cameron says:

There’s still the issue of these dryers requiring the user to enter the dryer in a particular way. No matter in which direction these are installed they will be at least moderately restrictive.

5. Paul says:

You’ve got to try the XLERATOR dryers by Excel Dryers, they’re awesome (and fun). They look more like a conventional hand dryer than the Dyson, but the air they blow comes out FAST–it makes the skin on your hands wrinkle and dance like something out of an old sci-fi movie. The only downside is that they are LOUD.

6. Noelle says:

I used one of these for the first time when I was in California over the summer. All I have to say is, if all hand dryers were as entertaining as this one, we wouldn’t have any issues with people failing to wash their hands. At least, with easily-amused people.

7. Chris says:

These hand dryers are very efficient but they are so loud – its like standing next to an F-15 jet fighter! My son is on the autistic spectrum and these would completely freak him out. I’d love it if someone invented a quieter version :-)

• crquack says:

You do not have to be autistic to find them highly unpleasant. The ones I had the misfortune to use produced noise which was bordering on damaging. Note that hearing is damaged rather easily, especially in children. And the damage is irreversible. And does not require necessarily prolonged exposure.

Thankfully most places locally have not succumebd to the ‘Ooh, shiny” phenomenon and stick with what works: Paper towels.

8. chris mcgee says:

Used one, it blew my wedding ring right off my finger. Wife was not pleased.