Bleg: Most Notable Quote of 2011

I’m starting to think about my annual list, run by the Associated Press, of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year.  By “notable” I mean “important” or “famous” or “particularly revealing of the spirit of our times” rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable. Last year’s winners were a tie between Tony Hayward‘s “I’d like my life back” and Christine O’Donnell‘s “I’m not a witch.”

I would welcome suggestions of notable quotations from 2011, particularly ones from politics or popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.

1. Amy says:

It’s got to be Charlie Sheen’s babbling about ‘winning’ and having tiger’s blood.

• Steve P says:

What about Seth McFarlane’s reply to Charlie at his Comedy Central Roast? “You say you’ve got Tiger Blood but with all the hookers you’ve been with its probably Tiger Woods’ blood”

2. Allison M says:

I am a fan of Mitt Romney’s recent gaffe, as a reason why he fired the company who hired illegal immigrants – “I’m running for office, for Pete’s sake!”

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 12
  3. Snowflake says:

It has to be charlie sheen in pop culture atleast

I think twitter has given us ALOT more quotes to take from this year, everyone posting their insights

4. Lucia Lozano says:

“If Lehman Brothers had been Lehman Sisters, today’s economic crisis clearly would look quite different.” -Christine Lagarde

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 11
  5. Greg says:

“We are the 99%”

6. Dave says:

“(John McCain) doesn’t understand how enhanced interrogation works.”

– Rick Santorum

7. T. Weymouth says:

I’ll believe that corporations are people when Texas executes one.

8. Evan says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Disliked! Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 7
  9. Jill Blevins says:

“Winning!” Hands down. 2011 wouldn’t have been 2011 without it.

10. brendan says:

For God and country – Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo

11. Bryce says:

“fish in a bag I think better than fish in a barrel that you have just made shoot of” – DJ Flula Borg

12. Sarah says:

Kim Kardashian: “I do.” Then 72 days later, not so much.

13. Michael says:

How about this one?
    As political spin goes, this is a true gem. Kyl said abortion is “well over 90% of what Planned Parenthood does” — a blatant lie — and when called on it, his defense is that his remarks on the Senate floor were “not intended to be a factual statement.” What an amazing way to justify all bogus claims — just make stuff up, and if anyone notices that you’re not telling the truth, simply explain that your nonsense was “not intended to be a factual statement.”

• Ryan says:

Yeah, I really liked “not intended to be a factual statement” also. Stephen Colbert did a nice run with it over two episodes and on twitter.

14. “Corporations may be people, but they are not American.” [Jon Stewart after Mitt Romney's quote.]

15. Erik says:

“Who is Boehner fooling? What am I, Anthony Wainer? I’m serious, brother, just embrace it!”

Hysterical!

16. Kathleen says:

I still like “the rent is too damn high.”

17. Ken says:

“Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow.” Steve Jobs

18. Rawklobster says:

Vin Scully- 10 years isn’t long enough for many.
    ” I have refrained from doing a big 9/11 remembrance post. Mostly because — despite our being implored to “never forget” — I find it pretty unpleasant to think about.”

19. Darren says:

I would nominate Elizabeth Warren:

There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own — nobody. You built a factory out there? Good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police-forces and fire-forces that the rest of us paid for.

• mickigal says:

Where did the money come from? Taxpayers. Where did the taxpayers get that money? Employment. Where did the employment come from? Businesses. Her argument has validity, but you have to go back to the source of the funds for the infrastructure in the first place. The factory builders and goods makers are vital to the existence of the very systems she seems to imply are being taken advantage of for their personal benefit only. It just doesn’t make sense.

20. Vangel says:

I am sure that a more eloquent quote can be found on the issue but here is one from the initial reporting on Japan’s Aerospace Exploration Agency inconvenient findings.

“The researchers found that CO2 absorption in high latitude regions in the northern hemisphere, including Russia’s Siberia, was higher than earlier estimated. They add that greater CO2 emissions were observed in regions near the equator.”

Why would I argue that this is one of the most important quotes? Well, it turns the IPCC claims on its head. It is not the wealthy Northern Hemisphere nations that are emitting CO2 that is supposedly causing warming because absorption due to natural forest growth in those regions is removing what is emitted out of the atmosphere. The JAXA study notes that the net increases come from the poor nations that expect to be paid for the ‘damage’ caused to them by CO2 emissions.

21. pramod says:

Heard this quote by Thomas Friedman today on TV

““I looked up the index of The World is Flat in 2004 and there was no facebook, the cloud was in the sky, an application was something you filled to go to college and skype was a typo”

22. Casey says:

“If corporations were people they’d be psychopaths” — Anonymous (no, not *that* anonymous; I just can’t find a single source, just people making vague references to “something they read somewhere” of “as they say”. I’d guess it was something somebody wrote on an OWS sign.)

23. russell says:

“As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators.”

Joe Paterno, on what he did when a graduate assistant informed him that one of his long-time assistant coaches (at that point, retired, but still with full access to Penn State facilities) was seen raping a young boy in the shower the previous day. Yeah Joe, that sounds like the right thing to do. Good grief…

24. Joshua Northey says:

I don’t think there is any chance that in 100 years the most memorable quote will be anything that is currently on the radar.

I could be wrong of course, but nothing stood out that way from the common sources of power, so likely it will be something from the media or literature that only later gains importance.

25. Mark says:

Gloria Allred vs Herman Cain: ” Instead, he offered her his own version of a stimulus package.”

26. Victor Savage says:

“Corporations are people, my friend.” -Mitt Romney

It sums up the feelings of the Republican party and conservatives against the 99% ideals of OWS.

27. Gustavo Lira says:

“It’s not about me. I’m not running for president,” Bialek (Cain Accuser) said.