Bleg: Most Notable Quote of 2011

I’m starting to think about my annual list, run by the Associated Press, of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year.  By “notable” I mean “important” or “famous” or “particularly revealing of the spirit of our times” rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable. Last year’s winners were a tie between Tony Hayward‘s “I’d like my life back” and Christine O’Donnell‘s “I’m not a witch.”

I would welcome suggestions of notable quotations from 2011, particularly ones from politics or popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.

1. Jill Blevins says:

“Winning!” Hands down. 2011 wouldn’t have been 2011 without it.

2. brendan says:

For God and country – Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo

3. Bryce says:

“fish in a bag I think better than fish in a barrel that you have just made shoot of” – DJ Flula Borg

4. Sarah says:

Kim Kardashian: “I do.” Then 72 days later, not so much.

5. Michael says:

How about this one?
    As political spin goes, this is a true gem. Kyl said abortion is “well over 90% of what Planned Parenthood does” — a blatant lie — and when called on it, his defense is that his remarks on the Senate floor were “not intended to be a factual statement.” What an amazing way to justify all bogus claims — just make stuff up, and if anyone notices that you’re not telling the truth, simply explain that your nonsense was “not intended to be a factual statement.”

• Ryan says:

Yeah, I really liked “not intended to be a factual statement” also. Stephen Colbert did a nice run with it over two episodes and on twitter.

6. “Corporations may be people, but they are not American.” [Jon Stewart after Mitt Romney's quote.]

7. Erik says:

“Who is Boehner fooling? What am I, Anthony Wainer? I’m serious, brother, just embrace it!”

Hysterical!