Bleg: Most Notable Quote of 2011

I’m starting to think about my annual list, run by the Associated Press, of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year.  By “notable” I mean “important” or “famous” or “particularly revealing of the spirit of our times” rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable. Last year’s winners were a tie between Tony Hayward‘s “I’d like my life back” and Christine O’Donnell‘s “I’m not a witch.”

I would welcome suggestions of notable quotations from 2011, particularly ones from politics or popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.

1. Kathleen says:

I still like “the rent is too damn high.”

2. Ken says:

“Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow.” Steve Jobs

3. Rawklobster says:

Vin Scully- 10 years isn’t long enough for many.
    ” I have refrained from doing a big 9/11 remembrance post. Mostly because — despite our being implored to “never forget” — I find it pretty unpleasant to think about.”

4. Darren says:

I would nominate Elizabeth Warren:

There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own — nobody. You built a factory out there? Good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police-forces and fire-forces that the rest of us paid for.

• mickigal says:

Where did the money come from? Taxpayers. Where did the taxpayers get that money? Employment. Where did the employment come from? Businesses. Her argument has validity, but you have to go back to the source of the funds for the infrastructure in the first place. The factory builders and goods makers are vital to the existence of the very systems she seems to imply are being taken advantage of for their personal benefit only. It just doesn’t make sense.

5. Vangel says:

I am sure that a more eloquent quote can be found on the issue but here is one from the initial reporting on Japan’s Aerospace Exploration Agency inconvenient findings.

“The researchers found that CO2 absorption in high latitude regions in the northern hemisphere, including Russia’s Siberia, was higher than earlier estimated. They add that greater CO2 emissions were observed in regions near the equator.”

Why would I argue that this is one of the most important quotes? Well, it turns the IPCC claims on its head. It is not the wealthy Northern Hemisphere nations that are emitting CO2 that is supposedly causing warming because absorption due to natural forest growth in those regions is removing what is emitted out of the atmosphere. The JAXA study notes that the net increases come from the poor nations that expect to be paid for the ‘damage’ caused to them by CO2 emissions.

6. pramod says:

Heard this quote by Thomas Friedman today on TV

““I looked up the index of The World is Flat in 2004 and there was no facebook, the cloud was in the sky, an application was something you filled to go to college and skype was a typo”

7. Casey says:

“If corporations were people they’d be psychopaths” — Anonymous (no, not *that* anonymous; I just can’t find a single source, just people making vague references to “something they read somewhere” of “as they say”. I’d guess it was something somebody wrote on an OWS sign.)

8. russell says:

“As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators.”

Joe Paterno, on what he did when a graduate assistant informed him that one of his long-time assistant coaches (at that point, retired, but still with full access to Penn State facilities) was seen raping a young boy in the shower the previous day. Yeah Joe, that sounds like the right thing to do. Good grief…