Got a Question for Mark Cuban? Ask Away …

Mark Cuban is known for a lot of things: the well-timed sale of Broadcast.com to Yahoo!, which made him rich; his high-profile ownership of the Dallas Mavericks (and co-ownership of the media company 2929 Entertainment); his cameos on Entourage, and much more. (FWIW, Forbes pegs Cuban’s net worth at $2.3 billion.)

Now Cuban has  published an eBook, How to Win at the Sport of Business. It is a compilation of greatest hits from Blog Maverick. Cuban did a Q&A on our blog a few years ago and is now back for more.

So fire away with  your questions in the comments section below and, as always with Q&A’s, we’ll post Cuban’s answers in short course.

To prime the pump, here’s the table of contents from How to Win:

Introduction
PART ONE: The Dream
PART TWO: Lessons Learned: My First Business Rules
The Sport of Business
The One Thing in Life You Can Control: Effort
Scatterbrained and in College – Being Focused at 21 is Overrated
What Are You Destined to Be?
You Only Have to Be Right Once!
What I Learned from Bobby Knight
Drowning in Opportunity / Winning the Battles You Are in
Don’t Lie to Yourself
The Best Equity is Sweat Equity
What Will You Remember When You Are 90?
Connecting to Your Customers
It’s OK to Be a Whiner
The Path of Least Resistance
Need a Job?
Taking No for an Answer and Other Business Mistakes
Living in a Tense Economy, aka Sometimes You Have to Say “WTF!”
Why You Should NEVER List to Your Customers
Twelve Cuban Rules for Startups
Twelve Cuban Mantras for Success

This post is no longer accepting comments. The answers to the Q&A can be found here.

1. Ron says:

Hello
    How can I work on your investment team?
    Ron

2. David Fuegy says:

I have a great business idea, admmitedly not as good as drawing cats, but still good. I’m afraid of sharing my idea because I’m afraid of theft. How do I protect myself short of a patent?

• Mike B says:

You get a patent. If your idea is not patentable just be a first mover…if there are network effects you might become the next Facebook, if not you might get bought out or just eventually crushed by competition, but you might make a profit until then.

3. Adam says:

What would you suggest as a first step for a wannabe entrepreneur saddled by lots of student loan debt? I’ve got a fancy education but I just want to start my own business… but I have big loan payments each month. Ack.

4. John says:

Mark,

I understand why you did it…but did you know it was going to be so BAD and possibly ruin your entire reputation? Of course I’m talking about your Entourage cameos… and no it’s not your fault, I blame Turtle.

By the way, Congrats on your recent Championship! Any interest in turning those faux Tequila stocks into a bid for the New York Knicks? Maybe just trade the franchises straight up? Please save us from Dolan!!

From a Passionate NY fan and former Entourage junkie,

John

5. Jake says:

Mr. Cuban,

A few years back there were rumors that you were in the market to buy a Major League Baseball team, and given that you are from the Pittsburgh area, naturally, the Pirates were thrown into the conversation. As a Pittsburgh native and Pirates fan, that was an exiting possibility to me, and I was disappointed when it didn’t come off.

So my question is, is there some barrier to entry or other reason Major League Baseball did not appeal to you as an ownership possibility? I ask because, other than the possibility that the rumors were completely bull, I assume a decision to stay out of the MLB was a business decision made on logical grounds. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jake

6. TKG says:

Why align yourself with the inhumane practice of greyhound racing for a Skechers ad? Is the promotion of you in the ad part of “Never Listen to Your Customers”?

• David Fuegy says:

Why is Greyhound racing inhumane?

• Kristen Miller says:

The greyhound racing industry is inhumane because living animals are treated as a commodity, with no regard given to their life. The conditions the dogs are forced to endure while at the track are restrictive and negligent at BEST, and at worst are life threatening.
        You can’t ignore the repeated documented and publicized cases of injury, abuse, neglect, and abandonment perpetrated by owners and breeders – particularly when they learn the dramatic declination of the profitability of this industry. How many more stories will we see in the news of kennels full of dogs, dead and dying because they’ve been abandoned in their cages for weeks on end?
        No track currently operates without some type of government assistance. Do you support finically assisting an industry that at it’s core is based on animal abuse for entertainment?
        Not to mention the thousands of puppies unknown, and unloved, euthanized and disposed of like used garbage because they don’t meet ‘quality’ specifications. We have a responsibility to be respectful and care for the living creatures of this earth, even those in collaborative relationships with us – for food or work or companionship. Are you a person who thinks animals are just disposable ‘things’ that exist only for the pleasure and amusement of the human species?
        You need to ask yourself, does the satisfactory treatment of a couple of winners, like the corporate elite, justify the unjust treatment of thousands of others?

• TKG says:

Thanks for your question David.

The inhumanity comes from the litany of practices that the industry would not be able to get away with if the dogs weren’t classified as livestock (hence they are not subjected to animal cruelty laws). In general, the dogs are kept in small cages when they are not racing, not even being allowed to relieve themselves outside their kennels. In Tucson where the commercial was filmed, the track is in violation of several laws including the amount of time dogs are to be let out of their cages, injecting dogs with anabolic steroids or sprinkling them on their food and causing long-term liver damage, as well as feeding unsterilized 4D meat (from dead, dying, diseased or disabled animals). In the last year, they claim they have to race the dogs even when it’s over 100 degrees (in violation of state law) and have stopped grooming the track (resulting in 3-4x the number of broken legs and injuries in the dogs compared to previous years).

In addition to those, there is rampant beating/wrongful euthanasia throughout the industry with several legal cases pending in the Southeast and W Virginia where the treatment of greyhounds has violated even livestock treatment laws.

The Tucson track in particular is problematic for the community. It is known as a track of last resort and many of the dogs who don’t do well even there are sent illegally to Mexico. The track does not pay taxes to the city or state as operations run at a loss; the track owners live in FL and make their money off the Tucson track through simulcast broadcasts in other states. So, not only do they not pay taxes, but they get city services for free and add to the burden on taxpayers given levels of crime at the track. Members of both the police and fire departments have indicated they would like to see the track closed and that it does more harm than good for the community.

Thanks for putting up with me on a soapbox (and my rampant use of parentheses), while I do love animals, I generally don’t get this riled up – it’s just that the abuse is so blatant and the effect on the community so negative. I was dismayed to see that Mark Cuban and Skechers filmed a commercial at that track and are glorifying something that most states have outlawed.

Here is some more information:

7. Pete Incaviglia says:

I know you have heard this a trillion times but there`s a lot of people with common and boring jobs out there who would like to change careers and enter the business of sports. Would you recommend them to follow their dream and do whatever it takes to enter the business or would you say that when you hit a certain age (let`s say 30) you should focus on life and forget about certain unattainable dreams? Thanks.

8. Ryan says:

when making decisions related to business, would you base it 100% on pure facts and numbers or gut feelings or a mix? How much does each play into your decision making are have you ever regretted the choice?