Football Freakonomics Nominated for a Sports Emmy

I had a blast working with the NFL Network/NFL.com on our Football Freakonomics series this season, and now we’ve been nominated for a Sports Emmy in “Outstanding New Approaches, Sports Programming.”

I know it’s a cliché to say that it’s a thrill just to be nominated but holy cow, it really is! Especially when you see the other nominees in our category: CBS Sports, ESPN, NBC Sports, and another NFL Network entry.

One reason I had such a good time is that I love football, and I love getting to poke beneath its surface.

The other reason is that I got to work with a truly extraordinary group of collaborators, including producer Brett Rapkin, who came up with the idea in the first place; the man known as B-Lock, Brian Lockhart, who made it happen at the NFL Network; the amazing writer/researcher Mike McKnight; director Jon Hirsch and his great crews headed up by Rob Newman and Eli Gamson; NFL.com’s own Tom Brady (not the QB); and a lot of other folks involved in researching, shooting, producing, creating great graphics packages, etc., including: Phil Guidry, Brian Caruso, Mitchell Swartz, and the true MVP of all things Freakonomics these days, Bourree Lam

Thanks to all!

1. Jordan Meyer says:

I’m not really a football fan, but CONGRATS guys! That’s awesome!

2. K Brew says:

Congratulations. But defense wins championships!!

3. Russel T. says:

Aren’t Sports Emmy nominations paid for? If so, how is this an honor?

• Cameron says:

No…nominees have been screened by a panel. Look at the Emmy website…

• VBinNV says:

I looked at the website, Cameron, and the rules. The nominees are screened by a panel, but to be “nominated” you must submit various materials and include either $375 or $275. You get one statue if you win, but can pay for additional ones.

LINK: http://www.emmyonline.tv/sports/applications/33rd/sports_33rd_annual_rulebook.pdf

If Freakonomics wins and Dubner takes the Emmy, I hereby pledge $5 for a statue for Levitt.

• Cameron says:

Yes, but $275 dollars is literally nothing for FOX, NFL, ESPN, MLB Network etc. Do you really think that would keep someone from trying to get nominated? What about the full page ads that studios take out during the Oscars? Do you think they pay less than $300 for those?

• VBinNV says:

All I’m saying is that it diminishes the award. If NFL players voted for “Player of the Year” but only a player nominated by his team were eligible for the award (and the team had to pay to nominate a player) it would be less meaningful than if a committee of experts formulated a deserving slate of nominees based solely on performance.

4. Mike B says:

I don’t think that’s actually an award…sort of like the Grammys.