The “Birther” Truth, According to Austan Goolsbee

From the shy and retiring (not!) Austan Goolsbee:

Note: updated headline reflects new understanding of “Retweet” volume.

1. Hapje says:

hahahahahaha! that’s great – wonder if Trump understands sarcasm

2. Will says:

It says “50+” retweets. I bet that “+” is key.

3. Jeremiah Stanghini says:

According to TweetDeck, as of 6:27pm EST, it has been retweeted 118 times.

4. Bree says:

It says 50+ retweets. That means *more* than 50 times, not “only 50 times”.

5. Eric M. Jones. says:

Make your own Kenyan Birth Certificate:

6. Horatio says:

I am a rock solid conservative with no chance in the world of voting for Obama. Having said that can we please move on from the birth certificate ‘issue’? His mother was American. Is this really an issue? Does anyone believe discussion of it will change anything or that it even matters?

There are so many real issues we should be focused on about this election. Below even last on that list is this silly idea that the President isn’t a natural citizen.

How about repeal of Obamacare, the debt, two wars…

• Barry says:

“Obamacare, the debt, two wars”
      All of these were initiated and/or exacerbated by conservatives

• pawnman says:

And despite running on “hope and change”, continued under Obama. Neither party is likely to solve these issues…our best bet is to keep congress in the hands of one party and the presidency in the hands of the other. It forces them to work together, instead of the stupid hyper-partisan crap we’re hearing now (like the Tea Party claiming Romney is a bad candidate because he worked with a democratic legislature in Massachusetts).

7. tmeier says:

The whole ‘birther’ thing seems like arguing over a technicality. I suppose it’s possible there is corruption in Hawaii but as of now they have certified Obama was born there. If people want to pursue this that’s fine, that’s what it means to have a free country. If you think there is something wrong going on in government you are free to try and uncover it. I wouldn’t bother myself because I don’t see the requirement to be born in the U.S. to be an important qualification but I think people who are rabid to shut the birthers down are nearly as bad as the birthers and only get them more worked up.

• Rob says:

As a conservative Republican, I feel like the birthers are coming off as the bigger idiots in that little tug-of-war. It embarrasses me.
      Please, birthers, please, please, please, stop. If there is one thing that the Democrats are WAAAY better at than us, it’s making their opponents look stupid. They win the snark wars every time. When you guys open your mouths you turn yourselves into targets, they paste you, and the rest of us are collateral damage.

• Joe Dokes says:

“I suppose it’s possible there is corruption in Hawaii…”

Initially asking the questions, “Where was Obama born? Is he a natural born US citizen? Does he meet the requirements to be POTUS?” is completely appropriate. Refusing to believe legitimate credible evidence is not.

I see this as a key problem facing the US, whether it’s global warming, evolution, or the Presidents place of birth, the refusal of a significant segment of the population to acknowledge credible evidence is scary. I am not talking about reasonable differences of opinion, I am talking about verifiable fact.

The President’s place of birth is simply a verifiable fact. The amount of evidence of his birth in Hawaii is simply overwhelming. As a result, we should not be afraid of name calling. When Donald Trump says there are legitimate questions about Obama’s birth, reasonable people, people with moral authority, should stand up and say, “Donald Trump is either been fooled, or is an idiot who refuses to believe credible evidence.” It should be stated unequivocally and repeatedly.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

• James says:

I do have a problem with this insistence on, and acceptance of, a piece of paper – and only one particular piece of paper – not just as “legitimate credible evidence”, but as proof. Did Abe Lincoln have one of these pieces of paper? I doubt it. How about Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and a whole list of other Presidents? How many of them had these pieces of paper to prove they were born? How many of them would be spinning in their graves at the thought that this country has degenerated to the point where any person needs “papers” to live?

• tmeier says:

I haven’t really followed this story because as I said, it wouldn’t matter much to me even if Obama were born in Kenya but has the Hawaiian state government allowed forensic examination of the birth certificate? If they haven’t why not? I don’t see why they shouldn’t if the ‘birthers’ are willing to pay for it. It can’t make things any worse unless the certificate is faked, in which case it should be done for that reason, not because Obama should be impeached but because there is some serious corruption in Hawaii. If the authenticity of the certificate is still controversial we’re back where we started, if it’s proven authentic it will perhaps reduce the ranks of the birthers.

If a substantial portion of the population want something which has no real downside done and are willing to pay for it I say why not? That’s what a free country does.

8. Joe J says:

And this has to do with Economics or Freakenomics, how?