Who Listens to Freakonomics Radio? Here Are the Survey Results

Last week we posted a survey for Freakonomics Radio listeners. Your response was fantastic — nearly 2,000 listeners — and very helpful. In return, we thought it’d be nice to share some of the data with you. As a big believer in negative feedback, I have just one regret: that we didn’t ask you to tell us what you don’t like about the podcast. Maybe next time.

WHO YOU ARE:

Our listeners are, in a nutshell: rather male (77%); relatively young (45% are 25-35 years old, another 24% are 35-44); well-educated (38% have a graduate degree; another 43% have a bachelor’s degree); and — according to the survey data at least — pretty well-off (17% earn more than $150,000 and another 23% earn between $100,000 and $150,000; then there are the 14% who earn between $0 and $30,000, most of whom are likely students).

WHAT YOU DO:

Here is a look at top occupations:

WHERE YOU ARE:

Here is where Freakonomics Radio listeners live — lots of international (yay!) but not a single survey response from Wyoming. What’s up with that, Wyoming!?

ABOUT THE SHOW:

One thing we really wanted to know is how you feel about our “full-length” podcasts (usually 20 or 30 minutes long) versus the shorter pieces that come from our Marketplace appearances. It turns out that 56% of you prefer the longer pieces but another 35% like them both equally — while 4% prefer the shorter pieces and another 4% “hadn’t noticed” the difference.

As for consumption: 60% of you listen every week with another 23% listening at least twice a month. The most surprising — and gratifying! — result came in response to this question: “How much of each podcast do you usually listen to?” 91% of the respondents said they listen to 100% of each podcast, with another 7% listening to 75%. Granted, the sample here is plainly skewed toward people who like the podcast but I still wouldn’t have expected this result.

I can’t say I was too surprised to see the other podcasts that Freakonomics Radio listeners follow:

I was, however, a bit surprised to learn that only 18% of you are members of a public-radio station. I guess this means that, although Freakonomics Radio is co-produced by public-radio titans WNYC and American Public Media, some quadrants of the podcast universe in fact operate in a separate orbit.

Finally, here’s a look at what you said were your favorite episodes. Thanks again to everyone for participating!

1. Adam says:

Still disappointed that there was no option “None of these other Podcasts”

2. guest says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Disliked! Like or Dislike: Thumb up 9 Thumb down 27
    • Dave says:

I closed the survey when it wasn’t offered in Spanish.

Oh wait, no I didn’t.

• Seminymous Coward says:

I suspect (but lack hard data proving) that an English-language podcast on a relatively academic topic is likely to have more listeners with a quirky gender than listeners who can’t read English but can read Spanish.

• Eureka says:

I proceeded in spite of the oversight. I decided to raise my voice as best I could, even if I had to give a less-than-accurate response to the gender question. Hopefully non-binary identities will receive more respect over time.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 13
    • Fleming says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Disliked! Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 11
  3. BT says:

How could “The Folly of Prediction” not make the favorite episode list?
    People. I just don’t understand them.

4. Ben Story says:

I would love to see a compilation of the “other” podcasts in terms of the top ten others mentioned.

5. Jos says:

Is there a place where these transcripts of these shows pop up? As a deaf economist it would be lovely to read these “podcasts”.

• Seminymous Coward says:

The tag “Freakonomics podcast” ( http://www.freakonomics.com/tag/freakonomics-podcast/ ) contains a blog post for each. There’s a sort-of button under each (in its full page form) labelled with “Audio Transcript” and a downward arrow, both in orange. Clicking it exposes a full transcript. I think sometimes, at least in the past, these get added after the post initially goes live.

6. Enter your name... says:

I hope that if they do this again, there will be a question about whether you listen to the podcast or whether you just read the transcript.

7. Q says:

Just 18% are members of a public radio station? That’s not bad, really. I wouldn’t be surprised if that number is higher than overall rate at which public radio listeners are members of a public radio station.

8. Andrew B says:

Love your show, rate it #1 but I did put in a negative comment- I don’t like when you repeat an episode throwing in a few new things. I am usually riding on a bike and have to get off, stop, and skip to your next broadcast since it is not worth listening to the whole thing for a few new things.
    But I do love your new broadcasts.