Terminal Illness: What Are the Best and Worst Airports?

Photo Credit: huangjiahui via Compfight cc

The end of semester crunch is in full swing here at Clemson, leaving me little time to write a new post at the moment. So I figured I’d let you do my work for me. Readers, weigh in: what is your favorite and least favorite airport, and why? I’ll collate and post the results soon.

TAGS:

1. Paul Page says:

Best – Hong Kong International
    Worst – Atlanta Hartsfield

2. hg says:

Favorite: Nashville Airport, not too big, good selection of food and is usually very clean in appearance and friendly staff

Least Favorite: St. Louis, the parking is completely disjointed, very dirty feel inside. Needs a good scrubbing it feels like and feels very cramped and compact once you’re in it. Staff not friendly as well.

3. Carly Redfearn says:

Favorite: Charlotte, NC. Free wifi, lots of windows, rocking chairs in all new terminals, inexpensive parking, usually on-time flights
    Least Favorite: IAH. Hard to get between terminals, dark, no windows, pre 9/11 design with security in every terminal, very few options for food

4. RJ says:

Best, believe it or not is Atlanta. Good rapid transit system. Easy design.

Worst, New Orleans. Cramped. Old. Long lines.

5. Alexis M says:

New York’s LaGuardia Airport has been voted the worst airport of the nation and I totally agree with it.It’s old, dirty and there is basically no real food past security.

6. Phil Billingham says:

Los Angeles is the worst. Very hostile and aggressive immigration officers treat incoming visitors on holiday like criminals. Most people I speak to – many of whom travel the world – have a hostile LAX story. Add 2 to 5 hour wait in line, and many people now avoid like the plague, preferring to travel elsewhere. But the USA advertises for our holiday money!

LAZ probably costs USA millions of dollars each year in reduced tourism.

• RogerP says:

Hostile US immigration officers appear to be the norm, be it O’Hare (my experience) or LAX (my associate’s experience).

I was exhibiting at a trade show and didn’t have a choice. I’d say immigration procedures definitely discourage tourism.

7. Connor Cox says:

Newark, New Jersey- There are always delays, people are unfriendly, and the building is complicated and confusing to get around in.

Arlanda, Stockholm Sweden- Clean, safe, easy to fly in and out of, friendly staff, convenient for international flyers.

• Ian M says:

Newark is bad indeed. When I lived in NJ, my Mom came to visit. She shaid that she would pay our flights for us to come visit her because she was never stepping foot in Newark airport again.

• Quentin says:

I’ve only been through Newark once, but while our plane waited in line for an hour waiting to take off, I was informed by other passengers that this was standard for that airport. I’m convinced that the airport’s fundamental flaw is that its terminal capacity is too big for the available runway capacity.

• Jason says:

I used to fly in and out of NYC a lot. I learned that at any of the airports there, you get on the plane and immediately take a nap. You wake up 60-90 minutes later, and usually the plane will be taxiing for take off. Seems like standard procedure.

• Joey Numbaz says:

Use HPN whenever you can if flying to the New York area. The amenities are horrible, and it’s crowded as heck, but it’s super easy in and out driving wise.

8. Alyssa says:

The worst airport I would say is London Heathrow. I never felt like an airport was so out of date or that the staff were so unhelpful as was at this Airport, it actually makes me not want to go back to London by plane.

My favourite airport however, is Schipol Airport in the Netherlands. This airport is so clean, and very clearly laid out. It’s impossible to get lost or die of boredom since all stores are always open before the first boarding calls of the day.

• RogerP says:

Heathrow, Terminal 3, I think is the one, I’d agree. Crowded every time I’d been there. Multiple branches of the same shops offering the same wares.