The Right Profile Lives Again (for About 15 Minutes)

A long time ago, I played in a rock band, called The Right Profile. It was a great deal of fun. We wound up getting a record deal with Arista. Here’s a picture of us with Clive Davis, who was willing to take this picture pretending we’d already gotten a gold record (I’m the guy shaking his hand):

But I quit the band about a year later. We were in the middle of making our first record. I decided I didn’t want to try to be a rock star after all, as much fun as it was. Writing suits me better.

I pretty much went cold turkey and have performed almost no music since then. But all these many years later, The Right Profile is set to ride again, if only for a few songs. We were asked to participate in a concert by the Vagabond Saints’ Society at a centennial celebration for the city of Winston-Salem, N.C., on Fri., May 10, from 7-10 pm.

I can’t wait. Winston-Salem has produced some amazing music over the years (the dB’s, Ben Folds, Let’s Active, the Allisons, Dillon Fence, and many more), and it will be great fun to hear these guys again and crawl backwards into the time capsule. Also I can’t wait to play again with my bandmates Tim Fleming, Jeffrey Dean Foster, and Jon Wurster.

I realize that the overlap of Freakonomics fans and TRP fans who are able to get to Winston-Salem, N.C., by Friday night is probably close to zero, but if you do happen to make it please come and say hello …

1. Jay says:

Do yourself a favor and pick the the novel “Time Won’t Let Me” by humorist Bill Scheft. This sounds exactly like the plot of the book.

2. Mitchell Reece says:

Stephen, the overlap is definitely not zero. I am a fan of both. We met when TRP played at Friday the 11th in Boone. I am looking forward to Friday night with great anticipation.

3. Brian Person says:

I’m in Winston-Salem. I’ve listened to all of the Freakonomics podcast. I’ll see if I can make it. I actually quit a band I was in, partly based on “The Upside of Quitting” podcast.

I still have access to a warehouse with some equipment in downtown Winston-Salem. Off 7th and main. If you need some practice space.

4. Ken Rohla says:

My wife and I will be there, Dub Man. We’re driving up from Florida just to see ya’s. Both Freakonomics and TRP fans. Staying at Tim’s crib. Can’t wait to see you guys, it will be super atomic fun. — Kenny Ro’

5. David Dickson says:

See you in Winston.

6. RPM says:

Stephen, was the name chosen because you were fans of the Clash? Or fans of Montgomery Clift? Their song The Right Profile was about Montgomery’s car crash.

• Tom Montefusco says:

RPM, according to Tim Fleming (their bass player) is was about Montgomery C. and also the Clash song, but Dubner can fill us in..

7. Tom Montefusco says:

Wish I could make it. I remember when you told me you were quitting music, selling your gear (including your nice Twin Reverb)_and going to NY to study writing. I thought you were nuts. LOl But turned out well. By the way, love your books, but my favorite is still your first book.

8. DD Thornton says:

Everyone was buzzing with anticipation about the reunion of The Right Profile. Now we want an encore!