How LinkedIn Is Changing Recruiting

(Photo: Sheila Scarborough)

Sarah Halzack, writing for The Washington Post, explores how LinkedIn is changing job-searching and recruiting:

As LinkedIn has exploded — perhaps because it has exploded — there has been a major shift in the way employers find new workers. Gone are the days of “post and pray,” a recruiter’s adage for the practice of advertising a job opening and then idly hoping that good candidates swim up to the bait.

Now the process of talent acquisition is something of a hunt.

“We’re really at a point now where all of your employees are vulnerable to being poached. Every single one,” said Josh Bersin, principal and founder of talent consulting firm Bersin by Deloitte.

The change is happening rapidly: A 2013 study by the Society for Human Resource Management found that 77 percent of employers are using social networks to recruit, a sharp increase from the 56 percent who reported doing so in 2011. And among the recruiters using social tools, 94 percent said they are using LinkedIn.

Recruiter Chris Scalia told Halzack that the type of candidates he sees on LinkedIn is also changing. “LinkedIn was always known for where you would go to find that really critical, challenging hire,” Scalia said. “It was never really where you would go for a PC technician or something at the lower end of the career mobility scale. Now I see both. It is completely flooded.”

(HT: The Big Picture)

1. linked out says:

I signed up for that. It looks like a bunch of people merely trying to sell themselves. Nothing real genuine about it. So I did not pursue it further.

• linked `out' says:

I should add that I do have one friend from grad school who found me on there. Her energy was an inspiration to me back then and still is now so there is some benefit to being part of such a group. I re-connected with a friend and we both have grown and not apart.

• Baltimark says:

“It looks like a bunch of people merely trying to sell themselves.”

What’s your point? It’s not Facebook. It’s a place to list your resume and make professional connections.

It’s also a place for companies to list their openings. I’ve received numerous requests to apply to jobs through them by doing nothing except having my resume out there.

2. trick artist says:

Well, if you mean that it is hard to change i.e., some changes are difficult for some to grasp and hard to make (especially for us older folk), I am in full agreement.

3. JK74 says:

FWIW, a bit of anecdotal evidence; I was chatting with a friend in recruitment just last month, and he said exactly the same thing; LinkedIn has radically changed the way he does his job, in just the last year or two. He basically said, if you want a new/different job, get on. Even if you don’t now, get on anyway. Disclosure; after he said that, I got on, but otherwise I have no connection with them.

4. Ross says:

Linkedin has become the lastest venue for recruiters to vacuum up resumes now that savvy jobhunters have figured out that the likes of Monster and Careerbuilder are career wastelands. Recruiters do not get paid for actual hires, they get paid for generating the largest possible pile of resumes. I receive several recruiter solicitations per month on Linkedin, and I tell them all the same thing: I would be happy to communicate with the hiring manager, but I do not give my resume to recruiters. I have never heard back from a single one.

• JK74 says:

Maybe it’s different in the US, but when my wife worked as a recruiter she got paid when the candidate started, and not a day before. Part of the value proposition they offered was that the recruiter went through all the resumes, did the initial screening, reference checks etc. and presented the employer with a short list of vetted, interviewed, suitable candidates – people who matched up not only in terms of qualifications & experience but (more importantly) in terms of personality & corporate culture. Giving a recruiter your resume meant that when a job came up that matched you, they could call & see if you were interested. If you don’t want to go in their database, well, that’s your choice, but most likely it hurts you much more than it hurts them.

And if they did make a placement, and the candidate left within three months, the fee was refunded. Get paid to provide a pile of resumes? Maybe, but I doubt it.

• NH says:

Actually, recruiters get paid on a commission structure that is based on the agreed upon base salary of a hire that they place for a company. They are fantastic contacts to have – let them “profile” you. Tell them what type of job and in what industry you would be interested in. You’ll be surprised at how it could turn out…

• JCR says:

You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about. 95% of recruiters work on a contingency basis, meaning that they get paid only if a candidate that they refer to the job gets hired. I have 1000s of resumes, and never once, get paid to provide a resume. Even if you are retained, you only get paid a portion when interviews get set up – resumes have nothing to do with it.

Of course, the tool in our trade is a resume. I certainly understand that there are a ton of terrible recruiters out there. My suggestion would be go with someone who is interested in listening to your career goals, not just someone who is pitching you a job. Then, should an opportunity come across a recruiters desk that fits your long term goal, then send a resume over to the recruiter.

However, I would also suggest losing the smug attitude your post suggests. There is a reason no one called you back; and honestly, likely a reason you have not progressed as much as you could have.

• Nameless says:

Being a recruiter, i can assure u that what u said is not true!!! What value would i add by simply piling cvs on someones metaphorical desk? My value is added by reducing the time sifting through the mountain of virtual cvs. Interviewing, ensuring that only the best candidates are presented, with good supporting notes about their motivations, background etc. the reason your cv is requested is because u have a good profile. If u do not send your cv a recruiter cannot present your profile to the hiring manager. Without that, there is no paper trail. Meaning that if you get the job the recruiter does not get paid for the time he spent finding you (as well as approaching sometimes in the 100s of people.) i would advise not to be so suspicious of people that find the best jobs for the best people. Good luck in your career. I hope this helps for clarity.

5. Philip says:

Clearly Ross has no idea how the recruitment process works. Obtaining someones CV is only setp 2 in a mulitple-stage process. Also you do not get paid on number of resumes (or CVs as we prefer in the UK), in recruitment you get paid on results. I would only invoice a client once the candidate has been identified, CV submitted, interviews completed, offer made & then accepted, contracts signed, resignations made and then the person having started in the new role. Quality is of utmost importance, not quantity and I can imagine why the recruiters are not contacting him again.

6. Leland maniloff says:

Linked-in has changed the employment process, especially for professions with higher than average turnover. I’ve also seen it enable smaller companies to cease outsourcing the recruitment process.
    Keep in mind that being contacted by the internal recruiter of a company is not the same as being contacted by an outsourced recruiter.