The BPS Research Digest offers a quick guide to the psychology and science of human attraction. Their dating suggestions — based on real studies — are:
- Dress like the person you want to date.
- Use the power of touch.
- Use a popular pseudonym.
- Wear red.
- Make strategic use of mimicry and temperature.
- You are not hot as you think when you’re drunk.
- Make strategic use of your friends.
- A flashy car can make a good impression.
- Avoid cheesy chat-up lines.
- Finally, don’t take these tips too seriously. They could backfire.
And a final piece of advice: “If your dating efforts prove unsuccessful (even with the help of these top-secret psychology-based tips!) and you’re feeling lonely, try holding a teddy bear. Science says it will help.”