Are You Male, With a Job in Finance or Economics, and Want to Get on a “Wilderness Experience” TV Show?

Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 11.38.47 AMThen today is your lucky day. Here’s a request we received from friends at a TV production company:

We’re casting the first season of Enter the Wild, an inspiring documentary series for a major cable network.  In the show, a diverse group of real people takes an outdoor survival course taught by one of the country’s most acclaimed wilderness experts.

It’s not a competition show. It’s not Survivor. The series will follow participants as they engage in a fully immersive, three-week course.  Our hope is that everyone will walk away not only with life-saving skills, but a new perspective on their lives and their relationship with nature.

We’d love to include a the point of view of a male with a work background in financial markets or economics in this wilderness experience. You can apply or get more information at our website.

A “casting treatment” from the company gives further information about the types of characters they are looking for. If I were a young anthropology researcher, I would be all over this thing — for what it says about the people who make, watch, and appear on modern TV. Here are a few of my favorites:

THE SEARCH FOR INSPIRATION

Those who have lost their enthusiasm for life: they are bored, burned out and /or numb.

Examples include:

A trial lawyer on the verge of burn-out, who wants to renew his spirit.

An overworked or workaholic stockbroker looking for something more

A timid soccer mom, looking to build a great sense of self worth

A bored Corporate Executive with a big ego, looking for a challenge

And:

THE FISH OUT OF WATER

Those who are so acclimated to our post industrial/ technology age  and/or urban life  that living in nature is akin to living on Mars.

Examples include:

A Boston Mechanic / Plumber

Computer genius

Astronomer/ Rocket scientist

Professor of poetry or literature

Factory worker

And:

THE DISENFRANCHISED/ THE OUTSIDER

People who through their own doing or by bad luck, have found themselves on the outskirts of society.  They may have self-loathing and/or difficulty trusting others.

Examples Include:

An addict who is barely hanging on to the clean life

A former foster care kid who still deals with issues of abandonment and trust, and wants to be more self-reliant but also hopes to learn to rely on what’s around her.

A young guy from a bad neighborhood, who got in with wrong crowd, and wants to get out

A poor and/or homeless man looking for hope

TAGS:

1. Joe D says:

I think the link to sign up may be broken! Anyways, I am a 26 year old with a bachelors degree in economics from the University of Victoria. I am currently working as a Production and Revenue accountant for Canada’s second largest oil and gas company. Would I still qualify for this?

2. Jennifer Bridge says:

So they’re looking for a “diverse” group of people….they just have to be male.

• Corban says:

If you imagine all these members as different corners of a grid, they’re trying to cover the entire grid and see how people react to the same situation. HOWEVER, adding women historically makes it much messier; it is now no longer just about the grid. Since I’m very interested in how this plays out, I sincerely hope they keep it simple and cut down on confounding factors!

• James says:

I think the stereotyping may be in your head. At least, I don’t know of very many males who could be described as “soccer moms”, do you? Nor do any but the last two (homeless guy & “bad neighborhood” guy) actually specify sex. And I know there are female corporate executives with big egos, ’cause I used to date one.

Though I do think there’s some non-sexual stereotyping there. For instance I suppose I’d technically qualify as their “computer genius” (as well as a couple of others), but far from being acclimated to urban life, I could probably teach the wilderness survival course. Though it might be interesting to do a reversal, and put some people like me through an urban survival course…

3. Jennifer Bridge says:

OH and the stereotyping of the “types” of people they are looking for is just breathtaking.

• Enter your name... says:

I think that’s pretty typical for casting calls. They’re looking for characters, not humans, and they need to tell you what kind of characters they’re looking for. It wouldn’t be very helpful of them to say, “We need some characters for our television show. We’re keeping the requirements secret, but you should apply anyway.”

(Also, notice that it’s only the finance/econ character who was specified as being male, not all of them.)

4. Lassie says:

The Discovery Channel used to show that kind of thing. There was a reality show about a bunch of young people trekking through Alaska (not in the snow). But that was then. I haven’t watched DC since they canned Bear Grylls :-(

5. Mike says:

I like how the “Fish Out of Water” category includes a list of professions…and Bostonians.

For what it’s worth the general casting call is open to everyone: http://www.enterthewildtvseries.com/. And to be fair, if they want people who aren’t very good at wilderness survival, they need to make it clear that it’s ok for people who are completely terrible at it to apply.

6. Alex Brengle says:

I am 27, work in a hedge fund that trades only MLP’s (oil/gas) and would love to do this. Do I qualify?

7. Kim says:

Former big-time video-game developer who rose too far too fast, burned out, and is now eking it out trying for a startup….but only after trashing her life and family. Also an alcoholic.

Oooh, ooh, pick me!