Bush Congratulates Krugman

Yesterday, President Bush invited the most recent round of Nobel laureates to the White House to accept his congratulations.

And yes, this included his trenchant critic and economics prize-winner, Paul Krugman.

INSERT DESCRIPTIONPhoto from Economist.com

This photo posted on Economist.com (from Agence France-Presse) makes me wish I were better at reading body language.

I’m going to shamelessly rip off The New Yorker‘s cartoon caption contest and ask readers to submit their preferred caption. The best caption wins one of those prized pieces of Freakonomics schwag.

Mull this one over during Thanksgiving dinner, and I’ll return with the contest winner next week.

Addendum: The winners are announced here.

(Hat tip: Free Exchange)

1. Eric says:

At least they’re already standing on the appropriate sides of the flag.

2. Tucker says:

Bush- “You win.”

3. Jason says:

Hey Beardie, I hear you write for the NY Times. Do you know this a-hole Krugman who is always writing about me?

4. Gary says:

Paul Krugman, 2008 winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics and U.S. President George Bush appear smiling together in the Oval Office after hearing reports that hell has frozen over have been confirmed.

I can only imagine Krugman just said “considering how often I rip you apart in my column, I figured it’d be at least another 2 months before they let me in here.”

or perhaps Bush just said “See Paul, trickle down economics DOES work! Businesses increased the amount of debt on their books, now I’m trickling it down to the taxpayers!”

The latter seems to fit better with Krugman’s smile, which seems to say “oh my God you’re an idiot.”

5. Federico says:

1.- If he only knew who I am…

2.- Take the picture already, my cheeks are starting to hurt!

3.- What have we got in common?… I mean, a nobel laureate and a Texas cowboy? I know! What’s up with that Roubini vs Gawker thing eh?

4.- Different life choices dictate where you will place your hands.

6. elbee says:

…letting bygones be bygones, knowing Pres. Bush will
    ‘ be gone ‘.

7. James says:

“Smug S.O.B.”

8. C. Collins says:

Whoever smelt the crisis, dealt it!