Blondes Have More…

Economists at the University of Queensland claim that blonde-haired women earn more than their dark-haired counterparts, even after controlling for other factors, and marry higher-earning men. The researchers couldn’t explain blondes’ financial success. “Blondes have wealthier husbands because we are more fun and outgoing, and men are more attracted to us,” said Olga Uskova, president of the International Blondes Association. “We also do better in the workplace because when we make a mistake we can say, ‘Oh, sorry about that, it’s because I’m blonde’ and get away with it.” The blonde advantage will not surprise anyone who has read about beauty premiums or John List‘s research showing that blonde women are even better at soliciting charitable donations. (HT: Daniel Lippman)[%comments]

TAGS:

1. Natural versus dyed numbers please. says:

They’ve turned the world upside down with this one.

2. Jessica says:

I’m curious how that association meeting would go…

3. Eric M. Jones says:

Here’s my crackpot theory—

Photographers know that blondes photograph MUCH easier than other people, and blacks are very hard to photograph in natural settings. The problem is the contrast ratio. (ps…I was told this by a black photographer). This was a key in early movies that set social standards of attractiveness.

So it might be that an unexpected consequence of the photographers art decreed that blondes are considered more “attractive” because they are more likely to be photographed.

( I actually knew an attractive NATURAL blonde who dyed her hair brunette, because all her girlfriends were blonde…mostly dyed…)

4. Anne says:

“Darker counterparts”? Does that refer to the just Brunettes or to the Redheads of the world as well?

5. Diziet_Sma says:

How about the likelihood that blonde women are more likely to be white than non-white? Given that, for every dollar a white man makes, a white woman makes $0.73, a black woman makes $0.63, and a Hispanic woman makes $0.52, I can think of some ways that this study is not really just comparing hair color . . . *

*This is a quote from a commentor on the Jezebel blog. I am repeating it here, because he/she said it better than I could.

6. a brunette says:

Funny and perhaps somewhat true! My blond haired daughter (of 17) noticed that wealthy boys seem to be attracted to her. She does not know why. She is definately more secure than I was at the time about herself, but I doubt it has anything to do with her blond hair. I think it has to do with such boys from wealthy backgrounds (steeped in Protestant attitudes) having cold mothers of which I am not, nor is she i.e., cold and warm tend to make a good match.

7. Rudiger in Jersey says:

A $5 can of hair dye at Walmart and 2 hours would give a woman or man any color hair in the spectrum. By this article, we should have about a 90% blonde prevalence.

But blondes dyes are not the runaway favorite, judging by sales and the street. There are numerous factors in attraction and hair is pretty superficial.

8. Cris says:

A blonde woman (most are dyed) reflects an effort to be perceived as attractive. They likely also have salon hair, do their nails, wear makeup and watch their weight. They do more with what they have, and since we live in a male dominated society, these women will prosper more than their brunette counter part. Unless of course you happen to be the breathtaking beauty of Catherine Zeta Jones or similar..There are always exceptions!. Most women look better blonde, I know I do.