What Separates Humans From Other Animals? (NSQ Ep. 51)
Also: why do people pace while talking on the phone?
* * *
Relevant Research & References
Here’s where you can learn more about the people and ideas in this episode:
- Jonathan Sacks (deceased), Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of Great Britain and the Commonwealth.
- Dalton Conley, professor of sociology at Princeton University.
- Peter Singer, professor of bioethics at Princeton University.
- Leo Tolstoy (deceased), renowned Russian novelist.
- Samantha Boardman, founder of Positive Prescription and clinical instructor of psychiatry at Cornell University.
- Everyday Vitality: Turning Stress into Strength, by Samantha Boardman (2021).
- “Acquisition of a Joystick-Operated Video Task by Pigs (Sus scrofa),” by Candace C. Croney and Sarah T. Boysen (Frontiers in Psychology, 2021).
- “Why Eustress Can Be Your Friend,” by Elizabeth Scott (Verywell Mind, 2020).
- “Foot-Tapping and Hand-Flapping: Why Do People Stim?” by Zawn Villines (GoodTherapy, 2019).
- “What Percentage of Americans Are Vegetarian?” by Zach Hrynowski (Gallup, 2019).
- “Ravens Parallel Great Apes in Flexible Planning for Tool-Use and Bartering,” by Can Kabadayi and Mathias Osvath (Science, 2017).
- “Reappraising Stress Arousal Improves Performance and Reduces Evaluation Anxiety in Classroom Exam Situations,” by Jeremy P. Jamieson, Brett J. Peters, Emily J. Greenwood, and Aaron J. Altose (Social Psychological and Personality Science, 2016).
- “Get excited: Reappraising Pre-Performance Anxiety as Excitement,” by A. W. Brooks (Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 2014).
- “Why Walking Helps Us Think,” by Ferris Jabr (The New Yorker, 2014).
- “Give Your Ideas Some Legs: The Positive Effect of Walking on Creative Thinking.” by M. Oppezzo and D. L. Schwartz (Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 2014).
- “Exercise Training Increases Size of Hippocampus and Improves Memory,” by Kirk I. Erickson, Michelle W. Voss, Ruchika Shaurya Prakash, Chandramallika Basak, Amanda Szabo, Laura Chaddock, Jennifer S. Kim, Susie Heo, Heloisa Alves, Siobhan M. White, Thomas R. Wojcicki, Emily Mailey, Victoria J. Vieira, Stephen A. Martin, Brandt D. Pence, Jeffrey A. Woods, Edward McAuley, and Arthur F. Kramer (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States, 2011).
- “Octopus Carries Around Coconut Shells as Suits of Armour,” by Ed Yong (National Geographic, 2009).
- “Rising Consumption of Meat and Milk in Developing Countries Has Created a New Food Revolution,” by Christopher L. Delgado (The Journal of Nutrition, 2003).
- “Effects of Physical Exercise on Anxiety, Depression, and Sensitivity to Stress: A Unifying Theory,” by Peter Salmon (Clinical Psychology Review, 2001).
- Charlotte’s Web, by E. B. White (1952).
- A Calendar of Wisdom: Daily Thoughts to Nourish the Soul, Written and Selected from the World’s Sacred Texts, by Leo Tolstoy (1901).
- The Odyssey, by Homer (800 B.C.E.).
- “The Invisible Paw (Ep. 329),” by Freakonomics Radio (2018).