How Can You Identify Hidden Talent? With Eric Schmidt (NSQ Ep. 21)
Also: is there a downside to billionaire philanthropy?
* * *
Relevant Research & References
Here’s where you can learn more about the people and ideas in this episode:
- “Team Players: How Social Skills Improve Team Performance,” by Ben Weidmann and David J. Deming (2020).
- “Disdain for the Less Educated Is the Last Acceptable Prejudice,” by Michael J. Sandel (The New York Times, 2020).
- “Intelligence: Definition, Theories and Testing,” by Charlotte Ruhl (Simple Psychology, 2020).
- “Thinking Is Expensive. Who’s Supposed to Pay for It? (Ep. 307),” Freakonomics Radio (2017).
- “The Mayor and His Money,” by Chris Smith (New York Magazine, 2005).
- Winners Take All: The Elite Charade of Changing the World, by Anand Giridharadas.
- Just Giving: Why Philanthropy is Failing Democracy and How We Can Do Better, by Robert Reich.
- Schmidt Rise, a wing of Schmidt’s philanthropic initiative that aims to build a network of talented young people.
- “The Last Dance,” (E.S.P.N., 2020).
- Hello World, app by Eric Schmidt.
- The Reimagine Podcast, hosted by Eric Schmidt
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Bill and Melinda Gates’s nonprofit organization.