Does Psychotherapy Actually Work? (NSQ Ep. 35)
Also: how many “selves” is it okay to have?
* * *
Relevant Research & References
Here’s where you can learn more about the people and ideas in this episode:
- Aaron Beck, psychiatrist and professor emeritus of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Albert Ellis, founder of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy.
- “Behavior Change,” by Angela Duckworth and James Gross (Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 2020).
- “The Comparative Impact of Cash Transfers and a Psychotherapy Program on Psychological and Economic Well-Being,” by Johannes Haushofer, Robert Mudida, and Jeremy P. Shapiro (National Bureau of Economic Research, 2020).
- “The Theory of Modes: Applications to Schizophrenia and Other Psychological Conditions,” by Aaron T. Beck, Molly R. Finkel, and Judith S. Beck (Cognitive Therapy and Research, 2020).
- “The Real Relationship and its Role in Psychotherapy Outcome: A Meta-Analysis,” by C. J. Gelso, D. M. Kivlighan, Jr., and R. D. Markin (Psychotherapy, 2018).
- “Sigmund Freud’s Theories,” by Saul McLeod (SimplyPsychology, 2018).
- “Socio-Economic Variations in the Mental Health Treatment Gap for People with Anxiety, Mood, and Substance Use Disorders: Results from the WHO World Mental Health (WMH) Surveys,” by S. Evans-Lacko, S. Aguilar-Gaxiola, A. Al-Hamzawi, J. Alonso, C. Benjet, R. Bruffaerts, W. T. Chiu, S. Florescu, G. de Girolamo, O. Gureje, J. M. Haro, Y. He, C. Hu, E. G. Karam, N. Kawakami, S. Lee, C. Lund, V. Kovess-Masfety, D. Levinson, F. Navarro-Mateu, B. E. Pennell, N. A. Sampson, K. M. Scott, H. Tachimori, M. Ten Have, M. C. Viana, D. R. Williams, B. J. Wojtyniak, Z. Zarkov, R. C. Kessler, S. Chatterji, and G. Thornicroft (Psychological Medicine, 2018).
- “The Efficacy of Psychotherapy, Pharmacotherapy and their Combination on Functioning and Quality of Life in Depression: A Meta-Analysis,” by K. Kamenov, C. Twomey, M. Cabello, A. M. Prina and J. L. Ayuso-Mateos (Cambridge University Press, 2016).
- Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court, by John Wooden (1997).
- I, Candidate for Governor: And How I Got Licked, by Upton Sinclair (1935).
- “Song of Myself,” by Walt Whitman (1892).
- A Treatise of Human Nature, by David Hume (1739).