Which Incentives Are Best at Boosting Vaccination, and Why? (NSQ Ep. 57)
Also: what does your desired superpower say about you?
* * *
Relevant Research & References
Here’s where you can learn more about the people and ideas in this episode:
- George Loewenstein, professor of economics and psychology at Carnegie Mellon University.
- Robert Cialdini, professor of psychology at Arizona State University.
- “These Are the Text Messages That Get People to Take Vaccines,” by Katy Milkman, Angela Duckworth, and Mitesh Patel (The Washington Post, 2021).
- “A Megastudy of Text-Based Nudges Encouraging Patients to Get Vaccinated at an Upcoming Doctor’s Appointment,” by Katherine L. Milkman, Mitesh S. Patel, Linnea Gandhi, Heather N. Graci, Dena M. Gromet, Hung Ho, Joseph S. Kay, Timothy W. Lee, Modupe Akinola, John Beshears, Jonathan E. Bogard, Alison Buttenheim, Christopher F. Chabris, Gretchen B. Chapman, James J. Choi, Hengchen Dai, Craig R. Fox, Amir Goren, Matthew D. Hilchey, Jillian Hmurovic, Leslie K. John, Dean Karlan, Melanie Kim, David Laibson, Cait Lamberton, Brigitte C. Madrian, Michelle N. Meyer, Maria Modanu, Jimin Nam, Todd Rogers, Renante Rondina, Silvia Saccardo, Maheen Shermohammed, Dilip Soman, Jehan Sparks, Caleb Warren, Megan Weber, Ron Berman, Chalanda N. Evans, Christopher K. Snider, Eli Tsukayama, Christophe Van den Bulte, Kevin G. Volpp, and Angela L. Duckworth (PNAS, 2021).
- Influence, New and Expanded: The Psychology of Persuasion, by Robert Cialdini (2021).
- “The Rorschach Inkblot Test,” by Kendra Cherry (Verywell Mind, 2021).
- “Why Paying People to Be Vaccinated Could Backfire,” by George Loewenstein and Cynthia Cryder (The New York Times, 2020).
- “Nearly Half of Older Patients Stop Taking Statins Within a Year, Study Finds,” by Susan Mayor (BMJ, 2018).
- “If You Could Have Any Super Power, Which Power Would You Choose?” by Morning Consult (2018).
- “Everything You Should Know About White Coat Syndrome,” by Carissa Stephens and Kimberly Holland (Healthline, 2017).
- “Impact of Electronic Medical Record Use on the Patient–Doctor Relationship and Communication: A Systematic Review,” by Maria Alcocer Alkureishi, Wei Wei Lee, Maureen Lyons, Valerie G. Press, Sara Imam, Akua Nkansah-Amankra, Deb Werner, and Vineet M. Arora (Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2016).
- “Which Superpower Would You Choose: To Fly Or To Be Invisible?” by Joseph Folkman (Forbes, 2015).
- The Republic, Plato (375 B.C.E.).